Thursday, May 27, 2010

Nankhathai / Indian Cookies



As a child I used to love these. I remember a bhaiya ( as we called him) used to get lots of baked stuff in a tin box or trunk (the kind of those we used to see on TV in which people all their valuables locked up). I remebered the satisfaction they gave. Eventually after coming to US I nearly forgot about them. here I could get wonderful chocolate chip cookies and peanut butter cookies and many others. But someone just mentioned the nankathai's all the old memories came rushing back and my search for making them started. Now I knew if I wanted to eat them I have to learn to make them. So one of my friends gave me the recipe.

So here goes the recipe for making the most delightful nankhathai's

Ingredients

5 cups All purpose flour
3 cups sugar
1 cup gram flour (Besan)
1 cup oil (vegetable oil , canola oil)
1 cup ghee

Preparation

Mix the all purpose flour, gram flour, sugar, oil and ghee together. (Heat the ghee a little for a little crispy cookie)

Mix it well and keep it closed for about 2-3 hours. The ghee and the sugar should get absorbed well

Preheat oven at 275 F

Make nice semicircular shaped cookies and bake them at 275F for about 35-40 min or until they get a little brown on the lower side.

(Tip : to make nice semicircular shapes you can make them in shape of laddoos and cut them from the middle)

The most important thing - "No one can have just one" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment